Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Week 6, #15 Library 2.0


I agree somewhat with Rick Anderson regarding the threat of icebergs in the future success of libraries. On the one hand, he points out that we can no longer attempt to have something for everyone in collections, "just in case" it is needed, on the other he believes that with Web 2.0, patrons will expect access to everything. I don't think that is possible, and I don't think it is probable that we will be able to satisfy all patrons with web tools. Some actually want print material. I also think his second point in reference to user education and easy to use programs like Flickr and image generators, etc., (as we have learned in 23 Things) is relevant because they are easy to use, once you get the hang of them. And lastly, I think our library system is ahead of some others because we are already placing some of our library services and content within the reach of our patrons by using the web.

1 comment:

Nice Guy said...

I believe that eventually there will be web tools to cover every need, wait until Web 2.0 is a few years older.